Other Sources of Financial Help

Other Sources of Financial Help for Students

The following sources of additional finance to help support your studies are available to students of all ages:

Care to Learn

If you are a young parent aged under 20 Care to Learn can help you with childcare and travel costs of up to £175 per week. Whatever you want to study, Care to Learn will allow you to choose the childcare most suitable for you and your child. To speak to someone about Care to Learn, call 0800 121 8989 or get in touch with your local Connexions office.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

If you are under 19, studying full-time and living at home, your parents can claim child benefit and other benefits. If you have to live away from home and no-one supports you, you may be able to claim benefit for yourself. For more information please go to

Career Development Loan

A Career Development Loan is a bank loan designed to help pay for work related learning. There is between £300 and £8,000 available to borrow to help fund up to two years of learning (or up to three years if the course includes one year of relevant practical work experience). You don’t have to start paying your loan back until one month after you stop learning. To find out more please visit

Your local authority

A Student Loan from your local authority may be available for Foundation degrees, HNC and HND courses and grants are also offered for other courses. To find your local authority, visit


If you are: –

  • still 18 on 31 August before the start of the academic year
  • in full-time education
  • living in a London borough

… you can apply for a 16+ Oyster photocard which also gives free travel on buses and trams and reduced rates on trains. See

Educational Trusts and Charities

We can advise you on how to apply for a range of support grants.

Alternatively you are able to use Funderfinder which is a finance database offered by the college that gives you links to other funding options and charitable trusts. To find out more please visit and or contact the IAG team at the College’s Kensington Centre on: 0207 573 5307/5325/5327 or Chelsea Centre on: 0207 573 5245.


Find out more about life at Kensington and Chelsea College